Please follow all the steps below one by one to do it.
You need to have installed node js and gulp installed in your local machine.
- If you don't have nodejs installed in your machine then visit nodejs.org and download and install latest LTS version of node js.
- After installing node js open a command prompt or terminal. Then type
node -version. If it shows a version number then node js is installed correctly. Also enter this command
npm -versionto see npm ( comes with node js) is installed properly.
- After installing node js you need to install Gulp CLI globally in your machine. So in your terminal or command prompt enter this command.
npm install gulp-cli -g. It may take some time, it will install Gulp CLI globally in your machine. Now you have done the environment setup.
npm install -g gulp-cli
- At this point go to the development theme folder. In downloaded zip there is a folder named "development". Within that folder you will see a folder named as the theme name. Enter in that folder and run command prompt / terminal here. Or you can navigate to this folder within already running terminal.
- Now enter command
npm install. It may take some time. It will install all the development dependency within the project. It may show some warning, don't worry those are OK.
- At this time you are ready to modify theme, Run one more command
gulpin the terminal. It will initially compile all files and star to watch file changes. Keep the terminal open and start customizing the theme.